• While you're checking out one of our helpful topics....
  • Want to learn about race vehicle design and construction? Find out how to build your own race car with our learning resources for the aspiring designer and constructor. Learn about race car basics and tips, download design aids, and find race car design and construction books with the help of our Race Car Book Finder!

Visit our information site at www.BuildYourOwnRaceCar.com

Got questions about race vehicle design and construction? Our forums are here to help answer those questions and make your project a success, whether it be a street car, a rider mower, a 4WD desert racer or a Formula 1 car.

We're just getting started as a forum community, but we'll do our best to answer all the questions posted. Sign up (It's free!) with us as a member and post your question today!

Monocoque sheet design

ftaffy

Monocoque sheet design

Postby ftaffy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:11 am

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the site, it has upgrade considerably over time.
As you seem to have looked at a lot of the design/build books out there do you have a suggestion which is the best for monocoque sheet chassis design/construction?
By sheet i mean early era style 1960's monos similar to the lotus 25, 49, etc not the composite sandwich style we see today.

Researched Lotus 25, 38, 49 construction / design - light on detail out there but a few pictures spread over many books gave away some clues.

Thanks,
Taffy

admin
Site Admin

Re: Monocoque sheet design

Postby admin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:44 am

Thanks for your kind words Taffy.

Your approach sounds like the path I'd take--photographs say a lot more than words sometimes!

I believe if you look at older (pre-composite) aircraft design as well you'll find more on monocoque construction. The use of aluminum ribs and bulkheads with aluminum sheeting was used extensively and there are probably some good examples in books out there. Unfortunately, my reads have always been around composite sandwich construction, so I can't recommend any books.

Another source may be structural engineering text books..you'll probably find useful parallels at the very least and more than likely some good principles for design.

Good luck!

ftaffy

Re: Monocoque sheet design

Postby ftaffy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, have actually started picking up some aircraft design books and trolling through homebuilt aircraft forums in search of photos of techniques. Some interesting ideas to be found.

Looked into composite options, mostly AL honeycomb panels as a core tub with an outer skin for show to give the shape. But need to research the costs of the honeycomb more but the speed of construction combined with the massive strength benefits of the tub is a big attraction to me.
That approach may get in the way of aims cheap, easy to build, not look like a mad max abortion and cheap to run (no rebuilds after every run) which CNC cut steel bulkheads and al parts which can be folded/rolled in a diyers home workshop.

Probably should have added i did design and build a locost style spaceframe car but it is not the above, every part was a one off (including the fibreglass pieces... stupid idea to anyone who reads this unless you want to spend your life sanding!). As well as doing the usual FSAE thing at uni.

Cheers,
Taffy

Return to “Chassis”